Grey Owl Advisors
Grey Owl Advisors provides strategic, operational and financial oversight for owners of differentiated energy, industrial and infrastructure service companies and specialty manufacturing businesses of all sizes. Grey Owl adds value by developing and implementing hands-on organizational and financial improvement initiatives to enhance shareholder value. Grey Owl leverages its founder’s experience evaluating, acquiring, managing, improving and selling businesses along with building and professionalizing company management teams across numerous industry sectors and through several economic and energy industry cycles.
Grey Owl’s innovative business model fully aligns the interests of all parties. Grey Owl charges a nominal monthly management fee, but the vast majority of its economic incentive is linked to the creation of incremental equity value over time and is triggered upon successful exit of the business owner's investment. The target audience for these services are private equity fund professionals with businesses in distress and/or held in legacy funds towards the end of (or even beyond) their originally agreed-upon term. Often assuming a position on the Board of Directors as part of the engagement, Grey Owl charges its monthly fee directly to the portfolio company and effectively replaces the private equity fund professionals in overseeing their investment and directing the company’s management team thereby allowing these fund managers to focus on larger and/or more relevant investments in their active fund(s).
Grey Owl’s current project focus areas and criteria are summarized below:
- Target: PE & Privately-Owned Businesses in Distress and/or with No Clear Exit
- Size: Completely Agnostic but Often too Small to Justify Owner's Time & Focus
- Geography: United States & Select International Markets
- Structure: Monthly Retainer with Upside at Exit Based on Equity Value Created
- Role: Actively Involved with Management Removing Owner's Direct Burden
- Management: Evaluate, Retain, Replace, Augment & Incentivize as Appropriate